Wednesday, June 24, 2009

one year

One year ago, yesterday, I started my job. I had graduated from college and was ready (in a reluctant sort of way) to enter the world. I worked my way through a couple positions and have ended up as head of the securities department. (I'm not really the head.. because right now I am the only person in the department.. so I'm in charge of myself!)

Here's what I've learned one year into the work world:
  • Keep your guard up. Act like it's your first day everyday. If someone comes to you about someone, they are most likely going to someone else about you.
  • Be honest and work hard.
  • If you don't know something, ask. Don't assume anything.
  • If you enjoy what you do, it makes the day so much better.
  • Go the extra length to help someone. It's not always the most convenient thing to do but it pays off big in the end.
  • Keep it professional. If you gotta cry, close the door!
  • You don't have to like the rules, but it's easier to follow them.
  • It takes patience to work with people different from you.
Those are just a few of the lessons I've learned this year. I'm excited to see what I might learn in the next year!

No comments: