Tuesday, March 24, 2009

"Oh, everything will change
Things will never be the same
We will never be same"

These are the lyrics to a favorite David Crowder song playing in the car this morning. These particular lyrics struck me and brought a pang of hurt to my heart.

Last night I had dinner with 2 old co-workers. I loved working with them and we even hung out outside of work a lot. But things change. I quit my job about a year ago. It was the best decision for me and I'm still so glad that I did it. We were around each other everyday for 3 years. And then nothing. I felt a loss. But nothing like I did last night.

Things change. Life gets busy. You lose contact with people around you. You change. They change. I'm not the same person that walked out of those doors a year ago. I am beginning to like the person I'm becoming. I have more confidence. I have a better handle of who I am and what I want. I'm less legalistic in my faith and able to see others better. And while I see things a lot different, they still see things the same way.

A lot has happened in the past year in all of our lives. A lot of changes. A lot of hard things and a lot of good things. And I feel sad that I missed those times with my old friends. That I wasn't apart of it. That phone calls were never answered or returned, something we were all guilty of.

So I feel a sense of loss. Of something that once was but no longer is. And I'm reminded while everything around me is constantly changing and I am constantly changing, there is One who doesn't. He is constant. He is strong. He is stable. And while I'm sad, I'm also hopeful because I know just around the bend, is something new. Something different.

Because everything will change. We can never stay the same.

1 comment:

~ Denise ~ said...

Beautifully written! ...and David Crowder?? When can he come back to us ... pppllleeasssee!! ;)