Thursday, March 27, 2008

conversation

Today in class one of my professor's used one of my papers as an example of conflict and supportive communication. The paper was about a situation that I faced with someone I know and how we worked out that conflict. In the paper I had mentioned that we attended the same church. I also mentioned some of the hurtful things this person had said to me. A girl in my class turned around and asked me, "This person is from your church?" She went on to say that it makes her wonder why christians act that way and will treat people in that way. She said something to the effect of, aren't church people suppose to be different?

Wow. I wasn't able to respond because the teacher started talking again. But what a statement from someone looking into the church. Someone who knows that christians should be different. My first thought was that christians aren't perfect. And we aren't. The church preaches love, grace, and acceptance. But we don't walk it. I've seen firsthand a fellow believer in "love" telling me everything that was wrong with me. I don't believe this is how God intended us to be.

This question has really got me thinking. Do people see me differently because I am one of those "church" people? Do I act differently? Am I more loving? more gracious? more accepting?
Ouch. I'm not sure I can answer yes to all of those. I'm not a "flaming" christian. I don't boldly proclaim that I am a christian. I try to live my life in a way that shows that I am different. That I have a Savior who loves me and that I can't live without. I think it comes out a lot in the stories I tell.

I want to live my life in a way that sets an example for others. I want to truly live out love, grace, and acceptance.

1 comment:

~ Denise ~ said...

oh, I see flames above your head every now and again! ;-)