Monday, May 11, 2009

life is like...

... a hike!

After a particularly grouling but amazing hike on Saturday, I've come to a couple conclusions.

Saturday morning, cusmyle and I, headed to our favorite hiking spot: Wintergreen. After a quick pit stop at the strawberry patch, we were on our way. After much conversing, looking at maps, and adding up distances and time, we made a decision. Hemlock Springs Trail to Peddler's Edge. The very untrusting, misguided map labels it as a "difficult" trail. Often the labels on the map don't match up to what's out in the woods. Of course, it can't possibly be our map reading skills...

We find the entrance to our trail and make our way into the dense forest. The increased amount of rain this season has caused conditions to be less than ideal. The rocks that weren't covered in moss were slippery from running water. We make our way to the creek crossing. Before, it was easy, nothing to trip us up. This time however, was a lot harder. Most of the rocks used for stepping were covered with water. It was trecherous. Finally getting to the other side, I look upon the sign to find out the direction we need to head. It's not clearly marked so we go in the direction we think it is. Somewhere, we missed our turn off and kept walking. Not to far down the road we realized we hadn't seen any red markers to lead us in the right direction. We stopped to make a choice. Continue on what we think is the path or go back to where we first veered off. We turned around.

The found our path and began walking up. and up. Sometimes having to come off the path because the path was to messed up. We huffed and puffed. Thoughts of maybe we bit off more than we could chew came swirling in my mind. But we didn't have a choice but to keep moving forward. We come out on the other end of the trail. We check time and the map to see if we can tackle one more before the mad dash to get home. We pick another trail and begin walking.

Not even 100 yards into it. We stop. We reevaluate. How do we feel? What's the best decision? We want to keep going forward but it's not wise. We turn around and begin to make our way to the car. But to get to the car we have to walk up the path we first came down.

This was especially hard for me. I wanted to be done. I was tired. And sore. We begin walking. and walking. Stopping more and more frequently. The muscles in my legs screaming to stop. But I had to keep going. I would never make it on biggest loser. Then something in me clicked. Yes I was tired and frustrated and wanted to cry but something clicked. A hey I can do this. I can push past it. With the cheers coming from in front of me, I sucked it up and with all the determination I could muster, I picked up my pace and finished.

I had a blast. Even through the hard parts, the sweat, the dirt, the pain. It's the feeling of accomplishment. That I started something and finished it, even with it being hard. Of course, the next day I could barely walk but I did it.

My conclusions, you might ask?

1. Life is hard sometimes. It's dirty and messy.
2. In the middle of a trial, it's best to follow the map.
3. It's wise to know the map and the creator of the map.
4. It's easy to get off track if you're not paying attention.
5. When you get off track, stop, think, and always go back.
6. It's much better with a friend by your side.
7. When you want to give up, don't. The feeling of accomplishment is worth it.
8. Sometimes you just gotta suck it up and do it.
9. Always allow time for rest.
10. Treat yourself to a limeade because you earned it!

1 comment:

~ Denise ~ said...

yaya!!! nice post. ;0 and...the limeade, well, that just goes without saying! ;)