I'm not sure why people get so worked up over valentine's day. It's always just been another day for me and maybe that's because I'm single, maybe not. But shouldn't you show love to your significant other everyday of the year. Why make it something special one night a year? As I watched friends this year place extemely high expectations on the special day it just got me wondering what it would look like if you made everyday special in some way. Even if it was extemely small.
Of course all of this is coming from my very single existence. But I've been watching my friends in my different circles and their expectations for dating and eventually marriage. They are vastly different. Growing up in a very conserative christian home, it was reinforced to me that as a girl, I would grow up to get married. That should be my foremost desire. And for a long time it was. I could think of nothing else. And while the desire to get married is still there it doesn't control me. All I want to do is follow God and if it's in his plan for me, than fantastic and if not, well He will give me what I need.
So this Valentine's I decided to spend my day a little different. I showed the people in my world that I loved them. I hung out with my roommate and the pups. I treated myself to a massage. I helped a friend get in her dad's truck. Talked to a new friend for the first time. And overall enjoyed the day, not thinking of the lack of a significant other but being thankful for the great things in my life.
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment