Tuesday, April 15, 2008

gratitude

For my skills class, I was asked to take an inventory of the things for which I am grateful. I sat down at my friend's kitchen table to begin my inventory. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I knew what I was grateful for but to really sit down and explain why I was grateful for those things was at first difficult for me. So here it goes:

I have many things in my life for which I am grateful. These things include my life, my friends, my family, my relationship with God, and the opportunities I am given because of where I live. Without any of these I would not be where I am today or who I am today. These things have provided areas of growth and learning for me.

My Family

I am incredibly grateful for my family. I would not be where I am or who I am today. They love me no matter what I choose to do, even when they don’t agree. I am grateful for the things they do. My parents support me and help me out whenever I needed it. They help me financially, emotionally, and spiritually. They never condemn me when I need help. I know I can always count on them for anything I need. They are always around when I need advice. I may not always take it but they are there to give it! I’m grateful for that. Knowing that there is someone to catch my fall and help me back up is a very reassuring thing. I can’t imagine growing up without that support, without that kind of love, and without that knowledge of being safe. And for that I am incredibly thankful.

My Friends

I am who I am today because of the friends that I have been blessed with. My friends are the most amazing people on the earth! I am grateful for each of them and for different reasons for each one. They have become my support, my lifeline, my laughter, and my sanity. They are the people I call on the bad days. They are the ones who can pull me out of a funk and put a smile on my face. They have seen me at my worst and my best and still choose to love and accept me. They challenge me to be a better person. They won’t let me settle for second best. They push me and motivate me to move forward when I want to quit. Without these people in my life, I wouldn’t be who I am today. I am so grateful for what they bring into my life. They bring life, joy, peace, love, and acceptance. I am incredibly grateful for their friendship and I hope that I bring into their lives the same things that they bring into mine!

My Relationship with God

My relationship with God is the core of who I am. For me it isn’t about a religion, a certain church, or pastor, it’s about a relationship with the one who made me. This is the most important part of who I am. If I could have only one relationship, this is the one I would choose. I am incredibly grateful for the impact God has made in my life. I wouldn’t be alive today if it weren’t for his love and grace. He’s the calm in my storm, He’s the stability in my crazy schedule, and He is absolutely the most dependable relationship I have. Friends and families aren’t 100% dependable. Hurtful things can be said, feelings hurt but with God it’s different. It’s absolute unconditional love. It’s an absolute unconditional acceptance of who you are. He doesn’t have to accept the things you do but He does accept who you are. Nothing ever said or done can make Him stop loving you and wanting to be in relationship with you. I can’t say that about any other relationship that I have. He wants what’s best for me. He knows what’s best for me. He guides me to choose the path that’s best for me. I am grateful for all He does and in return for what He does; I choose to live my life in a way that brings him glory. Do I get it right all the time? No probably not even close but He still loves me. And for that, I am grateful.

The Opportunities

As an American young adult, I have so many more opportunities given to me than people in other parts of the world. And a lot of times I take this for granted but I am very grateful for these opportunities. We are a very privileged people and need to be aware of what we have. I have a freedom to speak and do what I choose. Women in other parts of the world don’t have that luxury. I can walk down a street, wearing what I want, working where I want and not be afraid for my life. I think many young people today take that for granted. I am very grateful for these opportunities. I don’t always live in a way that shows that I do. I don’t always remember that these opportunities are something I should be grateful for, but being forced to think about what I am grateful for, brings these things to mind.

Life
Life is a gift. Something I take for granted. I have a choice to make with my life. I can choose to do something worthwhile and make a difference or I can choose to waste it. It’s funny to sit down and think about what your grateful for. I am grateful for life. I want to make the most of what I have been given. Life makes life worth living. The ups and downs make life worth living. For me, the good and the bad, make life worth living, having chances to grow make life worth living.


The whole purpose of this assignment is to relate it back to how this will help me to be a better manager. But after sitting down and forcing myself to examine my life, I believe this makes me a not a better manager but a better person. It puts life into perspective. It helps me realize that I am incredibly blessed. Even in the hard times, I am blessed.

Gratitude. What are you grateful for? Have you taken inventory of your life recently?

1 comment:

~ Denise ~ said...

A thankful heart is a good offering to our God! ;-)

I love it!